Skip to main content

The Market Street Quilts


The Duvet Cover

The Double Wedding Ring


These quilts from Clarksville, Pa. have been tucked in with my belongings for about 35 years. One was given to me by my grandmother Ruth Brown Ross, who lived on Market Street, while the other was purchased at the estate sale of her neighbor Jean Fowler. Unfortunately, I’m not 100% sure which quilt is which. 


When my grandmother gave me one of these quilts she told me that it belonged to my great grandmother Lelia Sanders Ross. At the time, I only had this one quilt, so I didn’t mark it.


So, now I’m hoping Jean’s son Gerald Fowler will be able to tell me if his mother’s quilt is the double wedding ring quilt (a design that was popular in the 1920s) or the duvet cover with buttons. I’m thinking the duvet cover is from the Ross family, but I can’t be sure. Maybe one of my Ross cousins, Lelia’s other great grandchildren, can help clear this up. 


Either way, these quilts are both beautiful works of art made by talented women with a connection to my hometown. 


Update:

“I will say with a high degree of certainty that the double wedding ring quilt was my mother’s. I will send you an email with some more details about this and your great grandfather…” ~ Gerald Fowler


Market Street neighbors: Jean Fowler, Ruth Ross, Isaac Brown, and Stanley Fowler. Circa: 1950s.

Here’s an interesting side note. I just looked up Jean Fowler’s information on Find-A-Grave and I saw that she passed away on May 11, 1983. Her nextdoor neighbor, my great grandfather Isaac Brown, died just a few days before on May 6, 1983. It’s funny how the passage of time makes you forget details like this, ones that I’m sure were the talk of the town back in May of 1983.


Update: 

“Randi, I am so happy that you have one of my grandmother’s quilts.  I remember that she passed while doing laundry on a Wednesday.  Her usual “wash day” was Monday, but she had been helping your family with your great grandfather’s funeral that week.  She had recently completed a cathedral window quilt for me.  It had taken her eight years to make, and my grandfather gave it to me for Christmas that year.  ❤️” ~  Kimberly Fowler Smith


By Randi Ross Marodi, randileeross@gmail.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Elephant Barn in Scenery Hill, PA (The Real Story!)

This barn adorned with a painting of an elephant sits along Route 40 between Scenery Hill and Washington and I pass it every day on my way to work. I have never stopped to take a photo of it, never asked anyone about it, or ever heard anyone discuss it.    But that doesn’t mean I haven’t wondered about it as I whizzed past.  Why an elephant? Usually, the barns around here have a “Mail Pouch” ad emblazoned on the side, but not an elephant.  Recently, I was looking in a book Westward of ye Laurall Hill when I stumbled upon a picture of the barn. The author Helen Vogt drew the photo in the book,  w hich  focuses on Washington, Greene, and Fayette counties during the period of 1750-1850.   There it was on page 327, in a chapter titled “Horse Racing - Red Fox Chasers - Picture Barns - Horses.” She maintains it was painted for the Triangle Oil Company, ca. 1940. “Another weathered grey barn at the side of the National Road west of Scenery Hill has the rather startling painting of an elephant

Would you like some Nescafe’ with your cake?

  I love photos like this - a little slice of life, a random moment frozen in time. I’m not sure why it was taken, but the people sitting around my grandmother’s Formica table are very familiar to me: my aunt Janet Ross, Jerry Kowalczyk, my grandmother Ruth Ross, my grandfather Vance Ross, me, my uncle Ken Ross, and my grandmother’s friend Ada Shumaker. It  looks like we are celebrating something because there is a cake on the table, along with some Nescafe’ Instant Coffee, and an empty punch bowl. The photo says February 1972, but it looks like there is a Christmas wreath in the window. Maybe it was Janet’s birthday, which is at the end of December, or New Years Eve. I’m thinking the photo was taken in 1971 and the film was developed in February of 1972. This photo leaves me with so many questions. Like, why did Nana have summery paper plates on the table if it was winter? Why didn’t she make a real pot of coffee or was instant coffee all the rage? Did we drink the punch or was she ge

The Forgotten Mitchell Cemetery of Bentleyville, PA

It’s not every day that you discover an unknown and uncared-for cemetery, but I did and it only took me about 30 years. In the mid-1990s, I found a copy of Caldwell’s Atlas from 1876 which had a map of Bentleyville that listed a cemetery near the Methodist Church in Bentleyville. Interestingly, there wasn’t a cemetery there. I asked around, but no one seemed to know anything about a cemetery in the middle of town. Finally, I talked to someone who knew about it, but they dismissed it by saying that it was probably for "paupers.”  I thought it had been paved over or something had been built on it and this was upsetting, to say the least. I didn’t really know how to figure out what had happened to the cemetery and to be honest, after a while, I kind of forgot about it. Then, last summer my daughter Abby and I were at an antique fair and I found a copy of the Caldwell’s Atlas map of Bentleyville. I bought it and when I took it home, I saw that cemetery again. Last month, I was t